Separation Agreement

If you split from your husband or wife, you need to seriously consider getting a separation agreement drawn up if you think you will divorce. In our opinion, you should make an appointment with a family law firm who can give you the best advice.

If you decide who to speak to legally, make an appointment and they will take down all the information from. You will need to take a copy of your marriage certificate and they will ask what your intentions are. Don’t be surprised if they suggest marriage counselling or suchlike, sometimes separations can be temporary and divorce doesn’t happen.

The family lawyer will draw up an agreement and send it to your spouse’s family lawyer. The cost varies depending which firm you pick and how much time it all takes from start to finish. Always ask what the costs are upfront and if its billed on a per hour basis, there can be a massive difference between a fixed rate or per hour. There is also VAT to take into consideration.

The agreement will take into consideration things like;
• Marital Home
• Contents of family home
• Pets
• Cars or other vehicles
• Commitments for financial obligations
• Finance Agreements

What is the separation agreement called?

It is called a Deed of Separation and needs compiled by a family lawyer and then presented to the Judge. It is always best to avoid going to court as that escalates your costs dramatically. It also means if you take the time to get the separation agreement done, when it comes time to divorce, its much smoother. Most of the legwork has already been done.

What to look for in a Family Lawyer?

You should look for someone with a great deal of experience in this area. Ask for recommendations and also get a list of their costs and understand how they work, before you confirm to work with them.